Third FTA Awards adopts virtual platform for March, names emerging designer finalists
Fashion Trust Arabia is to present its third annual FTA Awards in late March. This year’s event will be the first to be presented virtually, due to worldwide Covid-19 restrictions.
It also comes with a new advisory board, responsible for selecting the initial 24 FTA designer finalists, and a new judging panel.
The finalists are:
- Ready-to-Wear Award: Cynthia Merhej (Lebanon), Lama Jouni (Lebanon), Maram Aboul Enein (Egypt), and Zaid Affas (Iraq)
- Eveningwear Award: Elie Mizrahi (Lebanon), Harith Hashim (Iraq), Laith Maalouf (Jordan) and Mohamed Benchellal (Morocco)
- Jewellery Award: Alia Bin Omair (UAE), Azza Skhiri Bouchamaoui (Tunisia), Julien Riad Sahyoun (Lebanon), Tania & Dima Nawbar (Lebanon)
- Accessories Award: Billal Fellah (Algeria), Dania Shinkar (Saudi Arabia), Haya Al AbdulKareem (Kuwait), and Zakaria Bendriouich (Morocco)
- Franca Sozzani Debut Talent Award: AbdelGader El Tayeb Al Sadig (Sudan), Malik Thomas Jalil Kydd (Iraq), Mina Tahi by Mintallah Tahir (Egypt) .and Roudha by Roudha Ahmed Almazroei (Qatar)
- The new Unique Edition Award (with Guest Country Colombia): Alado by Alejandro González and Andrés Restrepo, Anew Cross by Agustin Tivero, Laura Laurens and Priah by Juanita Garcia
With the shift to a digital format, the event will include a “special virtual reality FTA experience” that will sit alongside the Doha-based ceremony. This will feature a series of local “intimate events and experiences” to take place prior to the final winners’ announcement, with the participation of global FTA judges.
The FTA said the event has become even more important as “current world events have highlighted the uncertain future that lies ahead for young creatives without the right ecosystems and support networks… There has also been an increased call for all industries to recognise the contributions of minorities”.
It said this has led the FTA to up its commitment to promoting the emerging talent of MENA (Middle East and North Africa) region fashion designers across various womenswear categories.
“We are looking forward to presenting an inspiring, state-of-the-art third edition of the Fashion Trust Arabia prize in 2021”, said FTA co-chair Sheikha Al Mayassa bint Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani.
The new board includes Alastair McKimm, Gabriela Hearst, Alexander Fury, Patti Wilson, Hamish Bowles, Ib Kamara, Aleksandra Woroniecka, Sarah Andelman, Jo Ellison, Jefferson Hack, Mohieb Dahabieh, Alexia Niedzielski, Sara Maino, Law Roach, Carmen Busquets, Fabio Piras, Natalie Kingham, Nina Garcia, Johanna Ortiz, Saif Mahdhi, Sofia Guellaty, Roger Moukarzel, Mohieb Dahabieh and Afef Jnifen.
Copyright © 2022 FashionNetwork.com All rights reserved.